Dr Dushan Alponsu is a Consultant Psychiatrist in General Adult Psychiatry. He specialises in adult mood and anxiety disorders, substance use disorders and detoxification, and Indigenous mental health. Dr Alponsu is experienced in treating mental illnesses using psychological methods, medications,Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) and ECT.
Dr Alponsu completed his undergraduate training in 1998 and postgraduate training in Psychiatry in 2007 in Sri Lanka.
In 2009, he enrolled in the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists fellowship training program and he received his training in Royal Adelaide, Glenside and Modbury Hospitals in South Australia. Dr Alponsu became a Fellow of Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists in 2011 and is an accredited member of the Faculty of Adult Psychiatry of RANZCP. He is also an International Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and a member of Ceylon College of Physicians. .
Dr Alponsu is an accredited Independent Medical Examiner (IME) for Work Cover Queensland.
Dr Alponsu also accepts -
• Item number 291 – Referral for an opinion and report. These involve an initial detailed patient consultation and assessment by the Psychiatrist, with ongoing management by by the GP, in collaboration with the Psychiatrist. Dr Alponsu recommends attendance of a family member or carer for the 291 assessment to discuss care. Note, under Medicare rule a patient must not have been seen on an item 291 by another psychiatrist in the preceding 12 months.
• Item number 293 – Referral to review the current patient plan done by Dr Alponsu under Item 291, within the 2 month period..
• Item 296 – Referral for ongoing management by Dr Alponsu at Caloundra Private Clinic’s Outpatient Clinic.
• WorkCover Assessments – No out of pocket gap fee for patients.
• Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) – No out of pocket gap fee for patients. *